Saturday 17 November 2012

Message & Delivery: Distribution

Creating a mailshot in continuation from the poster brief, to promote further the message of Free Pussy Riot to a specified audience. Initial ideas:

Simple type flyer


Fold out hot dog booklet//poster

Basic information leaflet

Concertina fold out playing on the balaclava imagery

Fold out poster with information on the other side

Envelope Ideas

I think the balaclava//pussy riot image from the posters definitely needs to be a key feature of my mailshot. I like the idea of still using the number 12 to represent the members of Pussy Riot and the two who have been sent to labor camps. If I make a concertina balaclava I can have the image on one side and the information//slogans on the back. After the feedback from my posters I definitely want to include more information explaining in full about Pussy Riot, and also will link to the website freepussyriot.org again. I will work in the same Punkboy typeface before, although this may be less appropriate for large body copy I think it fits in so well with the tone of voice. I think my target audience is largely young, probably students in and around Leeds, or groups promoting freedom of speech & human rights within the UK.



Testing out a leaflet//concertina idea - it has the potential to work well but the balaclava concertina might be more original & represent the 'fun' DIY Punk aesthetic//appeal to young people more.


Template for design





Testing the design on a small scale - there are 12 heads to represent the 12 members of Pussy Riot and carry through from the poster, and two of them are the pink balaclava pussy riot heads to represent the two imprisoned members. I definitely want the 'Free Pussy Riot//Free Speech' slogans on the back of the two pink heads. The double sided nature means that I can add text on the back of the Pussy Riot heads, so the front works as a decorative concertina.

I will base the info on the back on the paragraph I wrote when working on the posters. I'm going to size the heads so that a single balaclava fits perfectly in the envelope, in order to maximise the space. This means they will be quite big so I am able to use a more legible large point size for the type, and also include in depth information. After a few adjustments this was the final design I came up with for the inside of the mailshot. It is split into three sections on A3 paper to allow for construction:



Printing out and constructing a test:



The mailshot is quite large but I think this allows for ease of legibility and for me also to be completely thorough in the information provided. I have repeated the Free Pussy Riot//Free Speech to emphasise the message, and also have ended with a link to the website as a final thought for recipients to visit. The mailshot informs and promotes their cause and freedom of speech in general. I think the format of it is fun and there is a strong concept behind it. I now need to make an envelope and mailing list to reflect and enhance the design.

I created a template on Illustrator of the 11x22 DL envelope. I think I will stick to a simple format with this seeing as the inside mailshot is so unusual.

I came to my design solution very easily as I knew I wanted to carry through the same imagery and type as the inside. I considered inverting the colours to have a perhaps more impactful black envelope:

Surprisingly I actually don't think this has more of an impact. Although a black letter in itself might stand out more I think the address gets lost in the design and it looks less professional than the original design. I'm going to simplify the outside a bit and take away the zig zag on the front. I considered having a seal but think this would be awkward to line up. I know it's a very simple design but I think that is why it works, especially the back with the address. It also reflects the aesthetic inside.
To add interest and reflect the designs of envelope I decided to create an inside pattern just using the balaclava imagery which would be noticeable when the letter was opened:
I also found the design of the mailing list really straightforward as I could just pull the same imagery and style from the main designs into it. After trying and failing to find human rights//freedom of speech organisations in Leeds to send it to I decided to target my original audience of students, so found the address of the 4 universities in Leeds other than LCA.

I decided to stick with a standard A4 format for the mailing list as it worked best with the layout of the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment