Friday 9 November 2012

Message & Delivery: Research

Thumbnails with my new message: Free Pussy Riot, Free Speech



I really liked the idea of working with the iconic Pussy Riot balaclava, but making it into a simple image which communicated the band in an intelligent way. I drew a simple design on Illustrator which combined the balaclava with cat ears & whiskers:




I decided to go for a really vivd bright pink in my design in reference to the band who dress in neon colours. Playing around with half tones actually lessened the simplicity and impact of it so I decided to keep it really simple. This image can work in both the image & image//text posters.

Although I originally started working on the design for the image poster, I decided to get three artboards up on Illustrator and work on the three posters simultaneously to really ensure they worked as a set//series. Thumbnails from testing out different designs:









Final Designs

I've stuck with the same typeface in the two type posters which I think is reminiscent of Punk//rebels because of it's handwritten style. I used such bright colours because Pussy Riot dress in neon, and it makes the images stand out. I think they are simple and to me they communicate the message: on a basic level as part of the campaign to free Pussy Riot, and on a wider scale the importance of Freedom of Speech, and how the Pussy Riot case is so linked to human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment